Why Dental Implants?
Nothing can take the place of a great smile when it comes to making a good first impression. A healthy smile increases confidence as well as your willingness to get out into the world.
Another consideration regarding whether or not to get dental implants involves comfort. Dentures and bridges can cause discomfort, especially when it comes to everyday activities like chewing food or talking with others. Unlike partial or full dentures, dental implants are permanent and there’s nothing to take and clean separately. Dental implants can be maintained by brushing and flossing, like natural teeth.
An Evaluation for Dental Implants
If you’re interested in receiving dental implants, your dentist will complete an evaluation process to see if you’re a good candidate. Issues that affect whether or not dental implants are a good option for you include:
- the presence of jaw bone in order to place implants
- whether or not you have diabetes, which can lead to healing problems and an increased risk of infection
- tobacco use, which also leads to problems with healing after surgery
- periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, is a condition which will need to be addressed before considering implants
- any medications you’re currently taking, since anti-inflammatory drugs can lead to increased bleeding during the implant procedure
It’s also important to note that daily brushing and flossing are vital when taking care of implants and surrounding gums, since they are so much like natural teeth.
The Right Choice for You
You, along with Dr. Walker at Murray Scholls Family Dental, will decide whether or not dental implants are right for you. The first step in making this determination involves setting an appointment with Dr. Walker.
To determine whether or not you’re a candidate, you’ll need to provide Murray Scholls Family Dental with a complete dental and medical history. Dr. Walker will take x-rays and possibly a CT scan, which will identify the health of your jaw bone for the procedure. Then Dr. Walker will consult with you regarding the entire implant procedure from start to finish.
Finding out from your Beaverton, Oregon dentist whether or not you’re a good candidate for this procedure is worth the time and effort – dental implants not only change your smile, they can change your life.